Attractions of the city

civitas boutique hotel sopron

The Firewatch Tower

The Tower is the symbol of the city of Sopron. Its cylindrical lower part was built on the remains of the Roman town wall, and served as the north tower of the city from the 13th century onwards. The tower acquired its present form with its Baroque balcony and helm roof after the great fire of 1676.

Town Hall

Predeccesor of the town hall stands in the place of buildings that were made in the Middle Ages. As the Town tower, this building had also been damaged by the fire of 1676. It was pulled down at the end of the 19th century and the current building was built in 1985 in eclectic style.

Storno House

The palace-like baroque corner house is one of the most attractive sights of the Main Square. In the 15th century it was owned by the Haberleiter family, and provided accommodation for King Matthias in 1482-83, when he was besieging Vienna. The building became the property of the Festetics family in the 18th century, when it got its final form.

Statute of the Hole Trinity

It is a prominent work of baroque sculpture. It was made in 1695-1701 by Löwenburg Jakab and his wife, Thököly Katalin in gratitude so as they could escape from plague epidemic. The artist is unknown. Its basement consists of three squared prisms representing the statues of the founders and their guardian angels. The twisted columns are decorated with angels and flower strings. At the top of the column the Holy Trinity Group can be seen.
civitas boutique hotel sopron

Eszterházy Palace

The Hungarian mine historical exhibition in the Central Mining Museum is one of the most significant and overall exhibition among almost twenty museums of the city. The Eszterházy Baroque Palace gives a perfect place for the valuable collection. After visiting the exhibition the bastion garden with the small music hall behind the museum offers a good place for relaxation.
civitas boutique hotel sopron

Maria-Statue

It was erected in the place of the Annunciation Church of the Middle-Ages, after destroying the church in 1632 so as to impede the Turkish troops to use the tower for shooting the castle from there. The monument was made by Jakob Schletterer a sculptor from Vienna, under he plans of Andreas Altomonte. There are eight stairs leading to the octagonal pulpit. On the high enablement we can find embossments representing Biblical scenes. From this enablement a chorintycal statue erects and there is a Maria-Statue.